Friday, December 21, 2007

Home for the holidays ( or not )

Only 3 days till Christmas and my Holiday has started off right. Chris's family FINALLY after 5 years admitted "your father does not like Eric and I tolerate him" Is that or is that not the perfect example of the season? We want you here but hate your spouse more, so I know we could grin and bear it and get to spend Christmas Day with you if we could just deal with him for a few hours but gosh darn it we hate Eric more then we love you. I tried to explain to Chris that this wedge was making things worse and eventually he would come to find out that his parents resent me more for taking there Child away from then on the Holidays more then they resent me for making him gay ( as if I did that all by myself..... and dang I got a toaster upgrade for converting him ) The point is this is the season you are supposed to put away your differences and turn over a new leaf. Try again to make things work and build those bridges of peace. In the 4 years Chris has lived in Jacksonville not once has Either of his parents or his sister ever visited. That is sad, 4 years and NO company. They have not seen his house, work, met any friends, his pets, he has never cooked for them, taken them to his favorite restaurant, or just sat in his living room and talked. The more I think about it the sadder I am for all of us. His parents for missing out on so much of there child's life because they choose to hate me more then love him. I feel bad for him because he has to always make the choice on holidays who to hurt since we apparently can't be all together. and for me I just feel bad for being what is keeping him away from his parents ( the wedge ).


We bought our engagement rings the weekend before thanksgiving, they have been sitting, neatly wrapped in a bag in the closet since then, I have not once looked at the bag or box. I wonder how things are going to be after they find this out. I really hate telling them cause at some point they will learn and I don't want to hear or feel the reaction. This should be a special time for the both of us.... a once and a lifetime thing, and all I can think about is how they will take the news. I worry Chris will be crushed by there lack of happiness. We have talked about doing in Toronto in the fall ( our favorite time of year and the place were we first took a vacation together ) the additional benefit is even though it would be nothing more then a piece of paper once we cross the border back to the states the entire time we are in Canada and every time we go back we will be equal in the eyes of the law we would be married.

1 comment:

Mandi said...

I'm sure they just blameshift their fear of their "Gay Son" on you. If they actually KNEW you and remembered that Chris is still Chris, things would be different. It's too bad there are close minded people in this world, and it's just a sad situation when it's your family. Just remember that you (you and chris) have family and friends that DO love you for you. Family doesn't always have to mean blood, you know. I love you!